My Review of Children of Chicago by Cynthia Pelayo

Title: Children of Chicago 
Author: Cynthia Pelayo 
Expected Publication: February 25,2021
Publisher: Agora Books, Polis Books 
Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐
Genre: Horror 
Pages: 320 pages 
Review: 
The stories that we are told when we are young by our parents in the hope that they will teach us a lesson, an urban legend to warn girls to check their back seats alone or the one about the hookman at the popular makeout spot. We assume that these stories are just that stories, but what happens when these stories aren't just the stories that they are real!
Detective Lauren Medina is grieving her late father when she gets called to a case where a young girl is found. Now, background she has a difficult relationship with the public after she shot an offender. Now as they are surveying the scene they find a graffiti tag "PIED PIPER''. While this could just be a new tagger trying to make a name for themselves but Lauren can't help but feeling like this is something more, something more sinister than she ever thought possible.
As additional children are found dead Lauren sees similarities with her past and she jumps off the deep end into folklore and fairytales to try to get to the bottom of the situation.
When I was younger my grandparents bought me the Brother's Grimm Fairytale, and the Pied Piper was one of my favorites. I loved how the author brought the Pied Piper back to life with a horrifying twist!
I loved how Pelayo put a new twist to the Pied Piper, she made him come to life in her writing and he is terrifying! I love that not only do we see folklore, but this story gave chills that follow you even after the book is finished. You will feel anxious at times, even looking out your own windows at night because you swore you heard a bump in the night outside. I loved how creepy and chilling this story was. Definitely one that you won't want to miss!!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Review of Hie Secret Starlight Baby by Michelle Major

My Review of The Golden Couple by Greer Hendricks & Sarah Pekkanen

My Review of The Shadow Man by Helen Fields