My Review of The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson

Title: The Haunting of Hill House 
Author: Shirley Jackson 
Published: October 16, 1959
Published by: This Edition Penguin Classics 
Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐/5
Genre: Horror
Pages: 182 pages 
Review: 
So, it's that spooky time of year and I wanted to read horror and haunting novels so of course I picked the legendary The Haunting of Hill House.
Each of the characters are different and I love it!
Hill House is a huge house built in the 1800's with a troubling history. There has been a lot of tradegy including but not limited to a carriage accident that killed a young mother, the fighting between the two daughters, the death of one of the daughters, and then the suicide of the caretaker after she inherited Hill House. So, there Hill House sat for a long while with just the caretakers taking care of the property until Dr. Montague made a team and they decided to investigate the stories of the paranormal occurrences in the house. In addition to his team he chose other individuals but ultimately ended with Theo, who is really a theatrical type like she's all flash and everything. Then Eleanor is a kind of insecure woman. Then Luke, who is a member of the family who owns the house, he is there to make sure they do not do anything too crazy to the house.
This is a slow burn haunting story. The mystery and suspense are built over a little bit then things happen all the sudden and it's really great! Probably one of the better haunting novels I've ever read! I definitely recommend it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Review of Hie Secret Starlight Baby by Michelle Major

My Review of The Golden Couple by Greer Hendricks & Sarah Pekkanen

My Review of The Shadow Man by Helen Fields